Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tuesday July 26th

Today, I woke up to another beautiful morning in Guatemala!! We started off with breakfast made by Mrs. Susie, then took our hour ride to the village. I started my day off by seeing patients in the medical clinic. Lots of stomach issues, and symptoms of what American's would call allergies. I got to see a 47 year old woman who has NEVER seen a doctor, and here she sits in front of me, relying on me to solve her medical problems... Wow God thanks for your confidence in me!! What a different way of practicing medicine... I had a translator, his name is Pablo, he appears to be in his early twenties...he is very funny, I have changed his name to "petro" and he makes fun of Justin Beiber all the time...we were quite the team!! Around 12:15, Josh made his rounds announcing it was lunch time... I walked out of the room we were seeing patients in and saw Tim Knight painting faces, I quickly found a spot next to him and grabbed a paint brush!! I forgot to eat lunch and at one point, Josh opened a granola bar, put it in front of my mouth and said, "BITE"...looking at those faces seem much more fun than lunch!! After I was done painting faces, I was eager to actually do what some of the others had done and walk the streets! So Josh and I grabbed our backpacks and off through the streets we went!! We handed out tracks and Spanish bibles, attempted to speak Spanish to the locals, and of course I found some sweet little girls along the way. There is nothing more heart warming than placing a silly band on a child's wrist or a plastic ring or handing them a piece of candy and seeing their faces light up!! We encountered an old woman with no teeth who came up and wrapped her arms around both of us and began speaking in super warp speed Spanish, we tried to tell her we did not speak Spanish and then she just spoke faster!!!
We headed back to the feeding center and I found my sweet little girl. Yesterday my hair was in a ponytail, today it was down, I kneeled down to greet her and when I said Hola, she looked at me with a little smile as though she didn't remember me.... But then she looked at my hands, and remembered my fingernails, ( what first caught her attentionthe day before). Her smile grew a little more, but I was still not sure she remembered me, (again, she's only three years old) but then Josh came to my rescue... He walked up behind me, this little girl looked at me, looked at Josh, and immediately her huge huge huge smile that I fell in love with came across her sweet little brown face... She remembered Josh and I swinging her the day before. It was time to head to bible school so I picked her up and carried her up to the bus and off we went.
When we arrived, John asked if we wanted to go build a rocket stove...... OF COURSE!!! So John, Anthony, Josh, Brandy, and I hopped in the back of mike parkers truck and off we went on a very bouncy ride to the factory where the stoves are actually made. On our way to the house we stopped and picked up Mark(he us from Atlanta). Once we got him we went to build a stove in a woman's house made of bamboo and a tin roof. She is a widow with four children.. I ended up buying a table runner from her. Something I will cherish forever... Ooops gotta go!! I'll write later!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment